Tuesday, January 27, 2009

The week that was

The past week has been the busiest week post my thesis. And I am amazed by the amount of things I have been handling. Right from the sets of Anjor Kaaya to co ordinating on the site (Powai) for Opolis, to designing the tickets and posters, to doing some back stage work to co ordinating with my cousin for redoing his house, I had my fingers in everything. But things have been going fine. While there has been no time to rest, I feel a tremendous need to lie down and think for a while whether it is really necessary to exert so much.

But then I like to be on my toes. That is why I sat down at 10 in the night to formulate a brief for my class today. And though I did not come up with anything great, I felt a deep sense of satisfaction for the simple fact that I completed my task. I also went to Falkland road on Sunday, the experience of which I would like to brief out.

As we know of it, Falkland road is one of those lanes of Kamathipura in Mumbai. I personally was not very much interested in studying or even looking up at that area. Most of the times, I feel it has become a ‘hot spot’ to study. Some people like to discuss things which are difficult / embarrassing to discuss. That is their usp. I was amongst those who resisted either selecting or considering that area for study. I did not want to go to Falkland Road. I went for the simple reason to test the level of my embarrassment. More than that, it was fear of being visually raped.

One can not look into the eyes of a prostitute. They simply make you naked. As if you were made to stand without even a single piece of cloth on your body in front of them. On the other hand, architecturally, the place was deserted. We entered from Alfred Talkies side and slowly the buildings started becoming more and more perverse. The beginning was tolerable, when towards the middle we saw the silver decorated victorias. One could metaphorize it as the pleasure ride into the lane of Kamathipura. And soon, the pleasure queens display themselves as products. That is when I got more involved with neha in her talks. This was done to avoid looking at the girls. However, I managed some courage to look at some of them. They were sharp, looked straight into the eye, did not blink, and had perfect postures. If I was not embarrassed, I would have sat there and made a few portraits. However, the defied the laws of ‘conventional beauty’.

Questions which rolled into my head were debates of lust and love; whether one goes for quenching sexual urge, or spend time with another body…and what defines beauty, can lust exist without an idea of beauty (subjective)?

Of course, the area could be documented beautifully by pictures. There was too much of essence in the space itself. But its just the fear that did not allow us to wait and watch. We tried to wait at a sex clinic and talk for some time while dhaval did his part of survey. But I felt I was in the lane just to experience the oddity for that one single time. I do not intend to go there again for any reason. Neha had some beautiful inferences of the place. It was nice to talk to her.

On the other hand, Anjor Kaaya was a little boring. Apart from the length of the play, it needed a strong character sketch of each of the characters of the play. the music was indeed beautiful, but there was far too many unrequired characters. In short, the play was not crisp!

Well, there are far too many things to write, but where is the time? As I write this, my eyelids are heavy with sleep…so I take a break now…

3 comments:

kalaeidescope said...

i like the way you look at the space and grab the essence of it ..and mention just that ..having visited the place with u makes me probabaly realize what ur meaning, more than what meets the eye with the sentence u frame it in ..and that makes me appreciate even more at hw succinct the piece is .. (hw u managed to fit in just the imp bit of soo much that we saw) ...
Also the way u have mentioned so honestly the 'hotspot' bit ..i agree..but i think the addition of the experience of just walking thru that lane,(realizing hw fearful it can get ,realizing the intensity of the negative connotations the place bears)hopefully now weighs or should weigh much more than your resistance to the 'hotspot' connotation..

Vis-a vis the play the crispness and clarity of the characters ( it gets extremely difficult for the writer to realize and resolve and modify once it has been written and thus) must be looked after the initial few weeks of actual practice ..and must be constantly showed to a sensible but a ' not connected to the play at all ' kind of an audience ..that is a reliable source of feedback as to how one perceives the play the very first instance like the audience would ..

Anuj said...

you should have been at the lec yesterday...we discussed the area much in details and i realized that these women dont stay there...all these spaces on that lane are rented for brothels. so its a proper commercial centre...as you say, there so much more to it...lets see what these students teach us!

regarding the play, yes...but it is extremely important for the writer to mentally understand the character before making it- thats because he/she is the creator - he should be in knowledge of everything...the characters in the play were far too generic which did not strike a chord...

kalaeidescope said...

really .wow..!... i was nt aware of that...that adds further insult to the injury ..( for the moral police that is )..keep me updated on the new developments..