Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Language - Writing - Thought

To write, it is very important to understand in what language we think. Often, our expression language being english, our writings in english are translations from our thinking language (often mother tongue or the closest language to it). The way in which we frame our thoughts in english heavily depends on translation of ideas from our thinking language to communication language. We try to inculcate a habit of writing in our studios/sessions. Writing helps crystallize thought, understand our structure of thought.

What I actually want to discuss here is that I have found students expressing much better if allowed to express in their own thinking language. If one is familiar with reading another's thinking language, the maturity of thought is evident. We often read English passages written by students and feel they are not good enough.

I wonder if i am biased when i push students to express themselves in writing. May be that is not what everyone is comfortable with.

Students crave for instructional notes. They never feel like having their own versions of understandings. I used to assimilate my understanding in a separate book right from the 8th standard - I prepared my own notes, I would look up 3 textbooks and pick the easiest sentences to build my answer. I would note down whatever extra the teacher told apart from the textbook - but i do realize that it's only about me! The world is not the same.

What writing does to me, it may not do the same to anyone else. Writing helps me clarify my thoughts; reconsider my thoughts, or even reflect upon my thoughts. I am a confused person. But I constantly find ways of channelizing my confusions into workable things. I think confusions have potentials. One can explore them.

But there are so few of them who like to explore. Students are so less exploratory. Or may be I am too ambitious. But when I donot find myself in a company of exploratory people, I feel lost. How paradoxical! Often i sit in family gatherings and be quiet for hours. Perhaps they talk of different things. Or perhaps I think of completely different things.

No comments: