Saturday, August 18, 2012

First Day in the US of A

I am finally in US and the reason I am able to write this post is because I am jet lagged. It's 4 am in the morning here and I am awake - and although I tried to sleep back again, my head started buzzing with so many things I need to record!

To begin from the beginning - my flight which was supposed to be a direct one, was first made into a single stop over at Delhi, and later a two-stop flight via Delhi and Paris. This made the journey about 4 hours longer. I took all this time to calm down my mind with thousands of questions, opinions, suggestions, ideas, etc that people back there gave me regarding check ups, security, what to take care and blah and blah. I guess I just chose to forget all things - because I just wanted to experience all of it first hand. I don't remember of making any mistake in this entire process - it has been super smooth (touch wood!).

And at the airport, my parents called, and made me meet another 23-year-old boy who was travelling to New York for his studies. Initially I though it would be nice to connect, but i was taken aback too soon by his 23-year-oldness. You could make out his immense apprehension - as he kept taking out and putting back his pass port from his little wallet that hung around his neck for every check that we encountered. I tried to stick around with him till Delhi and then I said - it was enough of him. I kept getting last in every queue due to him! But the age of 23 is like that. You know that you know, but you know that you need to know more, so you are not sure of any action that you do. I was like that too. So I kept assisting this boy for some time - and like all Indian parents, and like me too, he was over-parented. Well anyway. Let's move ahead.

The flight was boring - the food Air India served seemed to be as old as ancient times and nothing tasted good. I cursed AI from the bottom of my heart. I was hoping to get a glimpse of the Eiffel Tower at Paris, but I didnt even find the Hoffman's avenues! Seems I will make a trip to find out soon. 

Taking off from Paris, we were over the sea for a very long time. There was nothing except blueness and thick layers of clouds. And I waited till I saw the coast of US. When it finally arrived - I only saw huge parking lots. I landed NY in time and it took a long time for the immigration queue till I went to one of the counters - when I was asked by the young volunteer about my status. He informed me that I was in the wrong queue. I  simply asked him if I must get into the long queue all over again and he said he would just put me into the right counter as my turn came.

Paris

Paris

Paris

Paris
















The shore of USA






















I could already spot my baggage from the immigration area and was already relieved - we were worried of all the fuss that AI created. I took out a trolley and promptly picked up my baggage anticipating further checks. But, there was nothing of all that. I plainly came out of the airport and spotted Neelima who was waiting to receive me out of the airport. 

At the airport, there were cab drivers, exactly like that in Mumbai - asking you for hiring them. I wondered if I had crossed continents. Neelima helped me take a bus ticket quickly and we were on a shuttle. We spoke and updated each other over our journey. As I looked outside, I felt as if I was in a video game. Buildings passing by at a speed same as those in games and shapes and sizes that I once experienced while playing bike games on the computer. This time, all was real. Grand Central arrived soon - Rohit (Manudhane), who has only been a pen friend (knowing me only by my blog) came there to receive me. It was extremely pleasant. Both, Neelima and Rohit cut short their job hours to coordinate my arrival. We got into the Grand Central station terminal and saw a bunch of tourists led by a guide - explaining the heritage of the place. It was so Mumbai-like. People were busy, running, buying, talking, waiting, etc. I could not believe I was in New York!

We had to take tickets to New Haven and I figured out queues, which I though would be ones I would need to get into. However, Rohit led me to the ticket kiosks from where I took ticket to New Haven and got some change - dollars - one of which I got converted into quarters from the store opposite. People have been so helpful by far (touch wood again!). Our train was in an hour and so we though of spending some time at the station. We soon went to a restaurant and kept our luggage. I told both - Neelima and Rohit that I wasn't feeling I was in NY finally!! Felt like dumping my bag and just exploring the tallness of the buildings. 

However, we spoke, joked, had a photo session and also skipped a train since we wanted to spend more time with each other already! NY was fine with it!

I finally boarded the train - secured my luggage on a seat and bid good bye to Neelima and Rohit. The train soon departed and we cut across a landscape I would have encountered from CST to the north via the Harbour line. This was the first instance of being surrounded by ONLY Americans and still, it didnt feel different. It only reminded me of the Mumbai local trains. The conductor was jovial and happy - and he did look down upon me with my extra baggage on the seat. He went ahead to say - "That's a complete no no - while people are standing in the gang way". I asked him if I could keep the bag on the aisle, and he sweetly said, "Not in the aisle, probably there...", pointing at another place, which was occupied. I smiled away with guilt. 

The train was phenomenally quiet. It felt as if we were flying! We reached New Haven in exactly 1 hour 45 minutes - as specified. This was the first time I had to handle two of my huge bags all by myself . It wasnt so difficult. As I waited back for the crowd to clear for me to take my time with the staircase, a lady hinted me to use the elevator. I was so glad - I just walked up to the elevator where I already saw a few people with their bags. Fellow passengers helped me secure my bags inside and held the lift doors open for me. It seemed as if it was their duty to do so! I was impressed. It just made my life easier. I called up my land lady from the station and she said she'd be there in 9 minutes! And she was!

She drove me to her house explaining me little things and I finally reached my home. Carolina (the land lady) seems to be an extrovert and we spoke a lot. She is in the process of furbishing her house and thus I was already able to give her a lot of suggestions :P
She seemed in oblivion of all options available to her.

I haven't seen any of New Haven yet and I feel exactly like I felt in Chandigarh some 8 years ago. Being in the house, I can hear silence, and a car or two passing by once in a while. It's extremely quiet and I am relaxed. This space already seems productive to me. I have written almost about 1400 words!!

Check this space for more of US!

No comments: