Monday, April 07, 2008

Work Review

So who is going to defend him?...Adarkar asked the panel
(everyone surprised)
I mean, who is going to be his representative?
(everyone looking at each other)
Ok whose group you are in…

“Padma ma’am” I replied

Poor padma…she got caught!

After about 5 months, there was finally a work review. My thesis design had progressed a bit, however, it was equally controversial. The panel listened to me patiently for the first five to seven minutes and then jal interrupted as usual. The problem with the cinema for the blind is that the subject and the object- both are quite flexible in terms of their interpretation. Jal was more concerned about the empirical formulations of the project. I just nodded away his questions about ‘how much of blindness have you studied’ because I did not find the question even important to respond to. If I started telling him about my ideas, he would have just whooshed it away! And anyways, I don’t understand why does he have to be ALWAYS negative? Why can’t he make his criticisms constructive?

Adarkar, on the other hand was more concerned about the sensory experiences…tactile, olfactory…all that he knows about the blind…and his typical examples…

Amberkar was very quiet, and he understood that it was beyond him to comment. I appreciated that.

Kale was more concerned about the functionality of the project and how would it prove useful. He gave me atleast some opportunity to go ahead and complete my explanation of design. He also gave me some more clues.

Padma just didn’t live up to my hopes…she still kept questioning why I was doing a cinema, if I had to address urban issues.

Ah! Finally I went ahead to meet shetty…after waiting for about two hours, shetty asked us to show our work hurriedly (as always) and gave us enough time. I showed him my large sketch.

He was happy to see the sketch. He also said that this must be your sheet like. However, today he seemed as if he wanted to wrap up the design. But I went ahead and asked about the unresolved parts. He tried to bring in some dialogue, again on the conceptual terms. He said that the cinema for the blind actually will be difficult to build. But this would be a CONCEPT OF SPACE that you are trying to create in the city. Such a space will be used by the blind to discuss stories…create, write, read….and all sorts of such activities. He also said that such a space would later on become a space to use for exhibitions or public activities.

On the other hand, he clearly asked me to work and resolve the internal tid-bits of the project. I agreed to do that, but I felt that he must have gotten tired with me – discussing and trying to explain me the same old thing. But that is so natural. On one of the instances, I also felt that he was too busy, as he just got irritated about smaller issues (like water logging in my project) and said “so what am I supposed to do?” but I don’t think it’s his fault at all. He is completely free to express his frustration. I just smiled. What else could I do?

His dialogue clearly brought out that he understood that there is a lack of (good) faculty in AOA. He asked me to prepare the final presentation I am going to deliver. I told him that I have thought about it. But he said, don’t think, PREPARE. I said okay…and he further said very sweetly, that that is what he would help me at. He also said that it’s just those last 15 minutes which made the difference for him during his jury. On a personal note, I like it when he gives examples about his jury. Because it’s nice to know the process of a successful project, and on the other hand, it’s just nice to understand him as a person.

While leaving, I asked him for my dissertation, which I had handed over to him 7 weeks ago. Still he said… “but I have not read it”. I said it’s fine. But while returning the booklet to me, he saw the cover page…held it for 2 seconds and smiled at it…

I knew why he did it…because the cover page said…. “c nema for the bl nd”

I smiled back at him. I think we both enjoyed the pun!

While leaving, atul was with me… and he said that perhaps Prasad did not have a grip over my project. However, I thought that how does that matter. It’s shetty who has guided me since the beginning and I trust him fully. He also said that he doesn’t think that now anything would happen towards making an ‘aha’ design, as there is no time. That’s the typical negative atul for you! I just blankly accepted it and threw it out of my head.

However, we can not stop trying. It was an eventful as well as a wasteful day. Shetty has told me to meet me with the drawings within some time. I have told…”Ten days?”….

“Will you be able to finish in a week?” shetty asked
“I will try to, and anyways, I think the talking will take care of the nitty gritty!” I replied.
“yes, talking is important…I will tell you. Come prepared!”

3 comments:

Unknown said...

the beauty about your blogs is that they are always from the heart and sincere. and Anuj, yaar, one thing i would suggest to you is dont worry about anybody's frustrations or pessimisstic natures, just complete the project and think about the jury. Remember the key lies in detailing and presentation.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.