Sunday, July 12, 2009

Heading No(w)here...

I would not believe myself being so restive until I started tying out at least 10 mails to different people for keeping myself busy with things. Suddenly I realize that it is so important to have work. I think work gives a background to other things that we do. The reason for the need to spend time in leisure activities is work.

Work has to be monotonous to accommodate and appreciate other activities? Isn’t it? I wonder if it is really true. And I am thinking this because I have no work to do meanwhile except preparation for further studies. I think this is the distraction that prarthana keeps talking about. To give a range of random things that I have been doing, let me mention a few – I have been visiting college frequently for meetings (the smallest of them), spending time in the library, guiding students with their thesis here and there, meeting people he help them take a decision with their studies, writing off mails to faculty at other institutes, contacting people whom I could help with their work, meeting people who are keen in getting some designing stuff done with me, preparing for fellowship research, looking up sites which publish research papers…

All these above were explored not for the sake of money, but for keeping oneself busy. one month of no work is after all, not good for a graduate – according to Indian social setup. It’s very embarrassing to tell others what I have been doing currently. So I end up saying that I am freelancing, or I am involving myself in research, or I am studying for further education. Answering calls at home on week days is like announcing “I am at home, not working”, or sitting at the library means answering the staff and juniors that meanwhile I have nothing to do in life…

Of course, it will change. There are good times and there are bad times. But there are times when you don’t know good or bad. This is one such time, when there is a lot of room to experiment, but there is no motive to do so, no drive or no purpose to involve in various things. Sterile as I say it…it’s going on...and on…and on…

there are things to write...opinions, views...but there is no disposition for the same...and the above is what i end up typing...!

1 comment:

daff said...

i completely agree with u ..... even i realized this when i was wasted for 6 months .... u can lose ur head sometimes ...i was lucky to survive it .