Thursday, July 23, 2009

Meeting Charles Correa

I met Mr. Charles Correa today.

I spent the last night dreaming about him, the last week dreaming about him and the last month trying to reach him. My meeting was timed spaciously – at 11 am.

I left home at nine, and I knew that in Mumbai, 2 hours for travelling too is less. And I was right. I stepped out of home and it started raining, pouring heavily. I had an A2 portfolio, my bag and an umbrella. i was almost fully wet by the time the fifth bus came, as I had to leave the other four – they were full. I cursed Mumbai so much, the people so much! I did not get an auto rickshaw too…I realized that I had to take a ticket too, since my pass allows to travel only till Dadar. I again cursed anticipating the crowd at the ticketing counter.

I got down at the station from the bus and saw the Goregaon local passing in front of my eyes. Needless to guess – the bus stopped at bloody every signal and got stuck in every damn traffic…I cursed the driver of the bus too.

The only credit I could have is the next local (after which there were none, and my boarding the train would be impossible). I waited (rather wasted) 20 minutes to take the 9:56 local. I boarded in praying that it would take me to Charni Road in time. I managed to reach the station 15 minutes in advance of my meeting time and was at CCA exactly at 11 am. (though I was on time, now I feel so hopeless about the city – 2 hours FLAT wasted in travelling!)

I was almost instantly taken to Correa’s cabin. I saw the big man working on his desk…2 minutes later, he welcomed me and told me to take a seat near him. I asked him about his health and he said he is fine. He immediately asked me, “So tell me, what did you want to meet me for.” I said, “I just wanted to discuss my project, because I could not do it earlier.”

I got my sheets and put them on his table. He told me to explain. I said the first sentence about the project and he interrupted, “Yeah I remember, but whom are you building for?” I said, “The blind”. And he said, “Speak clearly, who is the blind – the insensitive or the real blind”. I said it was a metaphor. But he didn’t like it. He immediately said, “We almost gave you the medal on the benefit of doubt. Many of them thought that ‘this guy is just talking about some things’. But you got it only because of benefit of doubt…so tell me, who is blind?”

I said it was the "insensitive".

“You see you are slipping. I would never like to work with you. Because you are not clear. You have to be clear. You are playing with words. You can be a critic, or a poet or write books. But you have to be clear. Otherwise, you will keep doing these all your life and not go anywhere, and do some vague thing. What do you mean by blind. Show me your plan. What did you do? When we saw your plan we did not see any form of auditorium, or seating or any such thing. What are you expecting people to do inside?”

I explained the interpretation of the cinema hall.

“But how big is it? What scale is the drawing at? It seems that you have gone wrong at scale. Its just a drawing you see…? How much is this…” he asked pointing to the distance between two columns.

It has been 3 years now and I had forgotten the measurements. I still tried –
“Sir, the hall is 450 sq m. I am expecting about 50 people inside each hall”
“but how is it that much? (he took a scale). I had to guess…I blurted…the columns are about 8 metres apart. So the hall is about 32 x 20 metres ( I realized that it was wrong), but I had no other option…but to guess…) I told him that for composing the sheet, I had to take a non-architectural scale.

He handed over me the scale and told me to measure it. Now was the catch. While I was measuring, I felt something was wrong. Either I was confused with the triangular scale, or the drawing was wrong. He could make out the apprehension on my face. He asked if I was Dhaval’s friend., and I answered in a positive. He asked me if I wanted Dhaval’s help. I hesitated. He still called Dhaval inside. Dhaval fakely showed his surprise to me as he entered.

Dhaval took the initiative and explained the project. The whole intensity was lost to the question of “how would one make a Cinema for the Blind.” He saw things here and there, made things much clearer, dissected the “blind”. I kept nodding. Dhaval and he were almost having a discussion on my project. I did not get even a chance to speak. But I guess that was ok.

He was not interested in poetry and metaphor, but the physical building. And dhaval was much better at explaining the resolution. The fun of the project. He also pointed out the link in the cinema and the blind. I explained him further. He liked it. He liked the drawings, the sketches. He waited on the ‘experience’ on the link, and explained and questioned it.

While he was making pencil marks on my sheets, he was erasing it too. He did it with “experience” too. Then, while elaborating on experience, I rubbed my hand against the rubber dust he created on the sheet. He must have felt that I did not like him scrubbing on my sheets (which is not true). Later he took out his notepad saying that he would not like to spoil my sheets…

I wondered if he didn’t like my wiping away the rubber dust, or misinterpreted the action into something else…

We later discussed architects like Venturi, Kahn, Ando, Corbusier, Palladio etc. We also discussed buildings like the Rotunda, the Pantheon, etc. He somewhat criticized Venturi. I could have defended. But I kept quiet.

I wanted to ask him many things. but I kept mumb. It was about an hour. At perfect 12:00 he said he had to call it off.

He did not want to discourage me, he said, but wanted me to have more clarity.
I understood that my first impression on him must have been terrible. The rest of the story, I must ask Dhaval…

2 comments:

ateya said...

Although you seem to be harrowed from the meeting, the description of it makes the meeting seem pretty successful, although I know that these things go one way but sound another when you re-tell the story.
What is your opinion on his insistence on your being certain?

Anuj said...

hmmm..i have been thinking about the question since i left his office.
i must detail out the answer, and i guess, it will make up for the next post...