Monday, June 21, 2010

Cycloid

Today, Prof. Deshpande took us to the first year class where he was teaching the students to draw a cycloid.

A cycloid is the locus of a point on the circumference of a moving circle. Fascinating. It immediately reminded me of the steam engine and the Harrappan toys (frogs with elleptical wheels which when run, jump!). The idea was gripping. Just last week, I had also read about Descartes, and how he took numbers to a visual space. So I immediately asked Deshpande sir about how it could be algebraically noted. Since it was not a free curve, its equation is written in terms of theta (the angle of the radius). Complex. I know. But i could immediately relate to what it meant - it meant that the coordinates of the curve would only be polar coordinates. Fancy no! While preparing for my graphics lecture, I clarified my polar and cartesian coordinate concepts (which I had studied in the 12th standard). It would have been so easy if our teachers then could make us understand visually, rather demonstrate us its use. Today I find it: and I can actually link it to structure of a building, geometry, graphics, algebra, cartesian system and ofcourse - design. Which Design: the lovely Kimbell Art Museum by Louis I Kahn in Texas. There are so many aspects to study in this building. Its amazing.








After coming back home, I could not resist trying to draw this out myself. I quickly opened AutoCad, and the first few times, I got it wrong. Then I had to visit Wikipedia, and learn how to draw it. So here I present to you my version of a Cycloid with a radius of 7 units.



















Imagine if the circle was moving on a sine wave! Now that one would require a software. And what if the circle was a sphere! Keep guessing!

No comments: