Saturday, December 04, 2010

Charles Correa - a charactersketch




































As a small child, Correa loved to play with toy trains - in an interview he said. He wanted to study something that would give him equal amount of satisfaction and that's the reason why he joined architecture. On his table 81 years after he is born and 50 years after he started his practice, one can see a number of toy trains. I have still not asked him which one is how old, but lets see if I get an opportunity to make a mini questionnaire for him.

The table is exceptionally low, and shows him tall even when he is seated on his chair. The table has plenty of pencils and pens, weights, cars, his numerous awards, collectibles and gifts from all over the world and animated sculptures.

 
 

Correa is a hardcore modernist - he believes in a plan, and he doesn't like any one speaking or informing in the present tense. For example, yesterday i told him, "'A' is working on transferring videos to the computer" - and he almost lost it and said, "where do you learn this language from, the language of the present tense? what do you mean by 'he is doing' - like 'she is cooking in the kitchen' - 'i am doing it'... what do you mean? we all are doing something, he is not sleeping over the table, he is definitely doing something - but that doesnot mean anything. But if you tell me what he did, or what is is going to do or finish by today, that is what makes sense. This is why the condition of our country is like that, there is no accountability...(shrugs)...'contractor is doing that' - what do you mean?"
The first taunt of my work with him.
but this is not the time to evaluate his thoughts, i feel. I must know him more to be able to understand a personality like him. He has presence.

As I watched him closely, he had dense silver white eyebrows, almost like a camel. They almost make a chajja over his eyes. And he keeps fiddling with his eyebrows. And they are always unsettled. His ears, as Dhaval puts it are 'elephant ears' - they are large. His spectacles are like those of Corubsier - jet black, round and big. There is no ambiguity in its colour (not sparkling silver-grey or golden-yellow or copper-brown). They are just BLACK. He writes and overwrites over tracingpapers and almost wastes tonnes of paper every year. Because he doesnot reuse any paper for printing twice. And because of fear, employees make so many errors that they end up printing everything thrice. Also, he has a habit of 'seeing' the correction at every stage - so every small incremental improvement is printed. Seeing is believing for him. 
I wonder how all his pencils on the table are always sharpened - they are always sharp. The papers are crisp, the pens are clean, the tracings are neat, the checkered pad is fresh. That is his characteristic.
"How did you get interested in archiving work?" he asked me after 4 days of my meticulous work, "You are really good at it, i am really glad..." (he waited for me to answer)
and almost articulating and editing my answer, I said "I was always interested in research and even during my research last year, I was very particular about noting down things." and I stopped fearing he would judge me on what I said.

One liners by him (more to come):
"A woman can't be 5% pregnant" 
(implying that you have to completely be involved in anything you do)

*I joined Charles Correa Associates as an archivist on 29th Nov. Don't know how long this journey will be.

No comments: