Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Serigraphy





















I did a screen printing workshop today - one of my many fantasies to learn these things. And i learnt that it is far too tedious to pursue it for personal happiness. there is a lot of effort in preparing the screen. However, if the image is simpler, it's a lot of fun to do it. We worked with very basic technique, very basic material. Nijeena was conducting this workshop on behalf of an art teacher of a school. What I learnt was that such techniques were towards coming up with a solution of reproduction of things into multiple copies quickly. Similarly, the wood cut method, or the block printing, metal plate method...so many of them...Man and machine.

(I want to elaborate on the school the workshop was held in and the traditional PAT-BGT matrix i saw on the blackboard - it is too nostalgic to remember of a time when I used to make that box on the board...)





















And at the workshop I met Jyoti - an artist from JJ school of art, a friend of Nijeena and Shubha, who was quite fascinated by the exercises we have conducted at college. Actually Shubhalakshmi told her about these...and she was even more interested in what I did with my research at KRVIA. Interesting. New connect!

Anyway, as I left the place, I was out in Byculla a the footstep of the JJ flyover. And i felt so obscure in that space. byculla as a place made me feel so alone, as if I was in some other land. Different people, different landscape, I shall bring out this contrast further in my subsequent mails if i get time.
Here was an attempt trying to capture the 'aloneness' or the 'obscurity' of this place:













 (no people, no life)



But I couldnot take more pictures! I don't know why. I just took a cab, and rushed to Bombay Central station. That cab driver thought i was new in Bombay and tried fooling me taking in another direction. I then embarrassed him telling him the way to go, and he had almost no words to explain.
I wanted to prick him more and so i asked him why he turned his cab in exactly the opposite direction we had to go. He fumbled some shit, which he knew too, was to hide his mischief.

Nevertheless, I will have to visit Byculla to understand why it made me feel so alone...and simultaneously I shall explore it in my space here...

No comments: