Friday, May 17, 2013

American English

And one year of US taught me my common errors  and new words in English:

Can you suggest me something? (incorrect)
Can you suggest to me something? (correct)
Can you suggest something to me? (correct)

You like this shirt? Is it? (Incorrect)
You like this shirt? Don't you? (correct)
You like this shirt? Do you? (acceptable)

Let me wear my socks. (Incorrect)
Let me put on my socks (Correct)

Are you not coming?
what would it mean to say in both:
Yes, I am not coming.
No, I am not coming.

"Can you get me a glass of water without ice" (doesnt work here)
"Can you get me a glass of water with no ice." (More like it!)

I didn't get you = I did not understand you
is not same as "I did not get your words."
Correct expression: "Can you say that again."


New Phrases I learnt:

cute as a button
I am all wet
To go by the ear: take decision as per circumstances develop
Whatever Floats your boat – soothes your soul
Debilitating
Sassy: improperly forward or bold
To be perfectly ripened: fresh fruit is perfect when it is a little old. That is called ripe
Cool beans
I'm down for both:
Be there or be square: be honest or direct if you aren’t there
I’m golden

2 comments:

jun said...

i think you "missed the boat" on "square"

look up colloquial meanings of the word.

Anuj Daga said...

i see the dual meanings. But i definitely meant the positive one!

:)