Thursday, May 26, 2011

Discussing Drawings


(the above text is by Pratik Dhanmer)


me:  what do you think may be an answer to the question he raises?
 sidthemonster:  this is a very complicated question
 me:  hai naa
...
 sidthemonster:  actually a bit of it reminds me of this article on ayn rand
she was an extreme individualist
 me:  idealist...
 sidthemonster:  and her books' heroes/heroines are based on her
 me:  yeah
 sidthemonster:  no no
idealist yes
but individualist
 me:  ok
 sidthemonster:  and she was so extreme that she actually praised a serial killer who raped and murdered little girls
 sidthemonster:  effectively saying he is being individualistic (i.e. doing what he likes)  and not letting "society" come in the way of what he wants to do
 me:  no, but i dont agree to this simplistic resolution of his
 sidthemonster:  and that's my problem too
and my problem with ayn rand
having too many rules is an issue
having none is a major issue
 me:  why does this process of preparing architectural drawings become so tedious?
 sidthemonster:  for that matter everything routine gets tedious. fact of life
when u drew as a kid it was ur escape from routine
now drawing is your routine
like i actually enjoyed studying for gre
i used to hate it in school
i was the last minute study types
also at work, i basically manage projects. Barely draw
for the last 2 weeks I've been drawing continuously without needing to manage projects
 me:  but it think, its more to do with the thought before putting it on paper - we think too much before we draw as architects
 sidthemonster:  and it's been so phenomenally exciting
 me:  exactly
 sidthemonster:  i wouldn't say so
kids think before they draw too
 me:  ummm
 sidthemonster:  only they perhaps dont think aloud:)
 me:  kids don't have the burden of responsibility in drawing
we have it
 sidthemonster:  true                                          
 me:  there is a correctness that has to be adhered to
a code
 sidthemonster:  but that would be a personal thing
some ppl love the responsiibility
some ppl dont
 me:  ummm
i do think it's more than routine
routine is definitely there
 sidthemonster:  what do u think
it is the reason why i stress on the routine thing is perhaps by nature i don't like to get tied down to one thing and I've experienced the same love/hate with drawing very intimately
 me:  do painters get bored of painting?
 me:  what makes us decide then to do architecture?
isnt it drawing?
or is it what?
i dont konw
it wasnt drawing for me
 sidthemonster:  it wasnt for me either
i.e. drawing
i duno why the link between arch and drawing is so tight
drawing is just one of the means
i mean rem koolhas is a journalist by profession
 me:  yeah, how else do you claim B Arch?
 sidthemonster:  and his language to describe/invent/create arch is writing
 me:  interesting
 sidthemonster:  or take even kenneth frampton
or any of the photographers who do such beautiful work with space
 me:  well
so it's the eye
 sidthemonster:  the issue is drawing is our tool of creation
 me:  the eye makes you the architect
 sidthemonster:  or the brain
 me:  so are you suggesting there could be a blind architect
?
 sidthemonster:  and just like engineers cannot fetishize their instruments, architects shouldnt too
yes of course!
i mean we talk of experiences
all the time
and experience is related to all 5 senses
 me:  ummm
brain is a very vivid answer
 sidthemonster:  u dont hear engineers going into paroxysms about beautiful java code
 me:  ?
never
  sidthemonster:  in a way what happens
i thnk is like how when ur a kid and ur trying to learn a strange new language
like say english for ppl our age
 me:  hmm
 sidthemonster:  and ppl talk to u in English
jus so u get better at it i thnk in a  way its the same with drawing for us
that a lot of the fetishizing is to get an interest and acquaintaance with a new way of expressing urself
 me:  hmmm
but what happens to this language?
we dont get fed up of it?
do we?
 sidthemonster:  eventaully it becomes a part of u
 me:  do we get fed up of english?
then why get bored?
 sidthemonster:  it becomes a way of expression
because drawing is also our tool
and just as ppl get bored of dal-rice
(i should have a better metaphor there)
oh oh
writers
they get bored of writing
van gogh almost killed himself with booredom frm painting
 me:  my god
there are traces
only you could recount!
 sidthemonster:  lol
 me:  but i do feel it is something to do with cognition
think of the tribal artists
 sidthemonster:  ok
 me:  dont they get bored of painting, if thats their work in life?
well they must be
but if one gets bored, it reflects in work
 sidthemonster:  the thing is, it ISNT
 me:  you can see that in architectural drawings
 sidthemonster:  madhubani paintings are done during diwali, traditionally
and warli paintings are also to celebrate religious occasions
so its not their job
its like drawing a rangoli
or lighting a diya every evening


and we went on...

No comments: