Sunday, October 16, 2011

Folds / Readings

I was reading Deleuze's "The Fold" a week ago and tremendous ideas rolled my head. I have these phases when I heavily start interpreting students' work through the latest reading that I am doing. Sometimes, I feel it's unfair and silly. Many of my ideas and opinions are influenced by my immediate readings...

The fold opened up to me something like Einstein's theory of matter - that every particle's density can be exploded and expanded into large amount of energy. Meanwhile, I keep thinking of shrinkable spaces - spaces which fold (literally) into packets and when unfolded, become large envelops that surround bodies.Yes, although it's a very apt reference for an exercise where we are looking at hawkers, bodies and enveloping spaces, I feel I am too influenced by Deleuze's "the Fold"!

Some time ago, I was reading theories on "Diagrams" or "Diagramming" and I felt that I got carried away in understanding everything around me as diagrams. Reading Stan Allen, Tschumi and Reiser on Diagrams has been enriching and these also feed into my graphics classes. Some time ago, I was reading Koolhaas and I became very cynical of things around me. I guess readings really really engage me and change me...When as a student, I read fountainhead, I almost became a Roark! It was only until someone gave me a reality check that I realized that I had gotten unnecessarily into the character...

Reading Rosalind Krauss's papers on grids influenced me to working with grids in innovative ways, breaking earlier conventions - I designed a whole Graphics exercise on grids last year. Archigram's work influenced my drawings, sketches. Readings of David Harvey again changed my outlook to society and things around me...But readings have made me too academic and I must change the nature of my reading to lighten up a bit...

It would be, I suppose, so futile to discuss "The Fold" with the first year-ites - they don't even understand "anthropometrics" yet! I don't really have any one to discuss ideas here! So I keep listing them! What will happen to these lists I do not know! I feel, theory is an area where one grows through only discussions. I am in a world of my own references!




No comments: