Saturday, March 03, 2012

Structure of Image Display


image: Anuj Daga
Above are 4 ways in which we primarily arrange photographs.

A. Random > unorganized > memories > Wedding cards
B. Semi unorganized > unsure matter > related/unrelated > multiple content
C. Organized > Tiled > Structured > Institutionalized
D. Organized > Compositional > Highlight > Major / minor

The sets A to D are ways in which photographs are displayed or composed for different purposes. It appears that display of images has gone a certain kind of institutionalization by the various disciplines of visual communication. This institutionalization sometimes talks of class and taste. I made these 4 typologies only to make myself aware of the architectural bias that I have and that I enforce on photographic layouts. Often, our aesthetic judgements are codified through subconscious pedagogical tools and we end up evaluating everything through this constructed academic lens.

The schisms between academic training and existing ways in which people negotiate aesthetic for themselves gives makes me conscious of my own construct. the more and more this reveals to me, the more I try to neutralize myself. But this neutralization is questionable and I worry if this shall lead to some kind of a-cultural manifest.

However, the idea groups formed above meanwhile are interesting, since they allow me to read how intangible ideas manifest into image composition (which further translate into tangible realities). It gives a framework for evaluation of displays and how ideas may get miscommunicated if they cross boundaries. On the other hand, one can use this framework consciously to create newer meanings.

No comments: