Friday, May 25, 2012

My first letter




























My mother says this was my first letter to her when I was away from her at my native place.
Dated: 28th April 1994,
During Summer vacations.

I was in Class 3. Hindi wasnt officially a subject then. It was home-taught.

A translation:


Dear Respected Mummy and Papa,

Warm regards. I hope you are keeping well. I remember you a lot. The pain in my tooth has receded. Now I don't need to take any medecine. I am keeping well here. I and Lalu (my brother) reached Dhanbad on the 27th. Here, I go to the temple with Bai (my grandmother) everyday. Lalu, Keshav and Harsh (my cousins) play a lot of mischiefs. Here, in Dhanbad too, they have taken a fridge. In Calcutta, we were put up at Mandir Talla. In Calcutta we visited Soni House, B. K. Pal, Shivpur and at Giriraj bhaiya's place. Sushil mama (uncle) brought us here to Calcutta. In this letter, you will find a lot of mistakes.

Yours
Anuj.


(the last line says: 
इस  पत्र में आपको बहुत गलितयाँ नजर आएगी .
meaning 
"In this letter, you will find a lot of mistakes - Although I guess I wasn't referring to the content, but the amount of strike-offs as mistakes)


And for a change,
this time the archivist was my mother :)

No comments: