Saturday, February 05, 2011

Annual Day at AOA

The annual Day of Academy at Rachana Sansad was fantastic. I enjoyed all programmes and the end also left me in nostalgia. I missed my class mates. I missed myself being on stage. I missed making mistakes on stage. All that...
There were 3 performances on Sheila ki jawaani. And I loved the fact that no one cared about the lyrics: particularly the part "I'm to sexy for you" - it was almost a lament when these sweet simple girls from first and second year performed it. But it's the music that we are supposed to enjoy anyway! Who cares what the lyrics are!

Similarly, profanity & erotica was everywhere - in plays, songs, and performances. I particularly liked the skit by the hostel-ites. It dwelled on the idea of separation from homes and the craving of the body for another. Where on one hand, it surfaced the tension of being alone, it also somehow brought out its translation into the need to feel another flesh. Does it mean physical security or craving for another physical body, I dont know. But on the other hand, it elaborated how such ideas are negotiated by them - from pseudo-sensuality to actually being subconsciously pushed to making relations with the opposite / (same?) sex, or make them voyeuristic, or developing uncommon habits to curb these thoughts...It is difficult to imagine how are these thoughts survived. How do they manifest?

Also of how we like being like someone. Imitations, replications, representations - all of it. And there is this huge amount of fun in all of it - erotica, mimicking, voyeurism, comments...And amidst, messages are slipped - who likes whom, who dislikes whom, what do they think of certain teachers, what they think of their study, what they think of things around them - that is the power of a space (here I mean space in the realm of public, made by public).

And I was wondering how background sound with huge amount of images irrespectively makes you nostalgic - especially if the images relate to your past. But that's essential I suppose. After all, we do build relations over 5 years, and they are validated thus!?

I liked what my class performed. And i particularly liked the selection of their song - Choli ke peeche kya hai. The song is grooving and all of them danced so well. I hoped to have more of my friends (students) on stage. Many of them are too conscious perhaps. But I am sure they will resolve this unnecessary and unwanted issue of the 'self-complex' in the years to come.

What I constantly asked myself all the time was: "Anuj, do you want to be in this cyclic college atmosphere all your life?" - it was scary. Rather, I haven't clarified this for myself. I then saw Suresh Singh, Jagdish Rajde, Sachin, Pooja and others, and felt a bit reassured. But the question is not answered. What do I see myself as 10 years down the line? And in some ways, it also echoes Correa's question to me: "Do you want to teach all your life?" - Why would he pose it to me? Oormi once said: "Anuj, the profession needs people like you. The state of the environment is such only because people like you choose not to practice." But I say to myself, "Teaching is my practice." This debate with myself is endless. But what is more important to me is that I am doing what I enjoy doing. That's it. What is work if you force yourself to do it! Maybe, when I am contemplative again, I shall elaborate this over a new post.

----
reflections:

The only silly part was the presentation of the NASA AVs. both of which i felt were absolutely silly - in the way they were designed, and the way they were presented. but they would never know how to speak for a presentation, unless they go out of their only mythic NASA space, to other talks, and see how to TALK! (I am referring to the way you deliver a speech, the tone of your voice, the confidence with which you speak, the emphasis on certain words in your speech, etc.). They love to make their powerpoint presentations animated - even where it's not required - and it always jams their computers. That's to show off their skill! The Panels had so much text that even a book would fail to contain it! And the drawings were to technical to be creative. There were hardly any graphics showing the context of the design in the surrounding but; hold on - there were details of how beds would be placed in the room and what would be the bedsheet covers like! Especially the police officers mess' spoke all about the swimming pools and gymnaesiums, but never about the aspect of policing - and how its probable translation into an architectural language! I wondered if that's the was cited as the best NASA design, what would the other 100 designs be!


THE ABOVE PARAGRAPH REWORDED:
I remained unimpressed with the work displayed by students who participated in NASA convention this year. Although one could see a lot of work, it was difficult to relate the design to the aspect of policing. The design did not speak about how the architectural language related to the activity of the police force. The representational skills that were used for the presentation, i felt, needed to be explored beyond 3d views and plans sections. It would have been really nice if there was a feel of 'discipline' (as would the police have) in the verbal presentation of the visuals. It would have really been interesting to watch at the panels if all of the text was more graphical, and diagrammatic. I almost felt disinterested in reading plenty of text - filling up every inch of the panel. There needed to be some breather space to appreciate the drawings. This is where I felt that the representation drew from its earlier counterparts. Being involved in NASA since 1st year, when I was briefed using NASA sheets of 5 years prior to 2003, and having read all of them in the past 8 years (so in all a reading of NASA of 13-15 years), the tools of representation should have been able to mature much more, which has failed to take place.

However, what is worth learning is the dedication and the rigour put in the work. But one has to always keep a check that this discipline must not regulate the creative thought and ways of creative thinking. According to me, Indiscipline is essential for creativity. Because, indiscipline has a pattern of production. This should be explored and channelised. Creativity many a times in the realm of NASA has been about cartooning how they slept at odd hours, or how 'new' couples were paired, or inconsequential things like that. But seldom have they explored cartooning as a way of presenting their entire panel! The sheets draw representation ideas from 10 year old NASA sheets - of the self! All are horse-blinded!

Anyway, even if people learn that, it should be enough. At least they get into the act of production. I hope they met new people, discussed ideas and did not lose out opportunity of networking in the chase of displaying their rivalry with others.

----

And for the first time, I took no photos of the event. I realized that photos distance you from the engagement. I was thoroughly in the crowd and I am glad I did not get into archiving it!

No comments: